Check out some of these facts from the Boca Beth Website about why children should learn a second language:
• Children who learn a second language early in life will most often speak with native pronunciation.
• Research has shown that second language study offers many benefits to students in terms of improved communicative ability, cognitive development, cultural awareness and job opportunities.
• A study found that bilingual children understood better than monolingual children the general symbolic representation of print — meaning that bilingual children learn to read sooner than monolingual children (Bialystok, 1997).
• A recent study out of Miami-Dade County Public Schools (the nation’s 4th largest school district and one of the leaders in bilingual education) shows that bilingual children perform much better in the math and verbal sections of standardized tests than their monolingual classmates.
• A study conducted in Louisiana showed that regardless of race, sex or academic level, students who received daily instruction in a second language out-performed those who did not receive such instruction on the third-, fourth- and fifth- grade language arts sections of Louisiana’s Basic Skills Tests.
• The College Entrance Examination Board reports that students who had averaged four or more years of second language study scored higher on the math and verbal sections of the SAT than those who had studied four or more years of any other subject.
You can rest assured know that the creator of the Boca Beth program, Beth Butler, is bilingual educator of young children in Tampa, Florida. Ms. Butler lived in Chile and Mexico, then spent more than 10 years in preschool and elementary school classrooms. She knows what she is talking about! The Boca Beth program has one several awards including: 2008 Editors’ Choice Award/Family Review Center, Learning Magazine 2007 Teachers’ Choice Award for the Family, Best Educational Product of the Year (2005 & 2006) –Parent to Parent/Adding Wisdom Award.
You can purchase her extremely AFFORDABLE products starting at prices like $6.99!
Win your own Boca Beth Backpack set (an $84.99 value)? This set includes: the first, second and third bilingual music CDs, two full length bilingual DVDs, Two BOCA puppets, coloring book, a brightly colored egg shaker & a mini maraca, and an easy reading How to Guide all in the Boca Beth Backpack!
This giveaway ends March 31st at 11:59 pm! The winner will be chosen using random.org